Statement of Faith
Please read through these statements and initial in acknowledgement that you have read and understand that The City Mission holds to these beliefs, and that you will respect them while you are serving.
The City Mission, although focused on meeting the practical needs of people, has a long history of proclaiming the life-changing message of Jesus Christ. Contained within an early statement of purpose for The City Mission is this foundational objective: “The City Mission is formed for the purpose of conducting and sustaining Christian work of an evangelistic and missionary nature in the City of Cleveland, Ohio, and its vicinity; to aid in the work and in general the conducting of meetings for teaching and studying the Bible as the true Word of God and for the proclaiming of the Gospel and the Lord Jesus Christ for the salvation of souls.” This remains the center of what we do. Although we have developed successful programs, have networked with other community agencies, and have qualified staff and volunteers contributing their expertise, it is still our unwavering focus on a relationship with Christ and the principles of God’s Word that results in changed lives. We hold to the following statement of faith.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, ultimately authoritative Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21)
- We believe there is one God, eternally existing as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 28:19; 1 Corinthians 8:6)
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ is deity that He was born of a virgin, that we are redeemed by His atoning death through His shed blood, that He bodily resurrected and ascended into Heaven, and that He will come again in power and great glory. (Matthew 1:18-25; Philippians 2:5-8; Colossians 1:15; 1 Peter 2:24,25; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18)
- We believe that individuals are saved through a direct, personal encounter with the risen Lord, at which time they are regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This event we hold to be an experience, rather than a doctrinal supposition. (John 3:3; John 3:16; Ephesians 2:8,9)
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whom Christ indwells each believer, enabling one to live a godly life of obedience as one reaches for maturity (John 16:7-11; Galatians 5:13-18)
- We believe the Holy Spirit unites all true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ and that together they form one body, the Church. (Ephesians 2:22; 1 Corinthians 12:12-26; Colossians 1:18)
- We believe in Biblical definitions of marriage, gender, and sexuality, and uphold a Biblical stance on all matters related thereto. (I Corinthians 6:18;7:2;Hebrews 13:4; Romans 1:26-27; Genesis 2:24; 5:2; Mark 10:6-7)
Organizational Positions in Addition to The City Mission Statement of Faith (2006) The City Mission has historically been identified with evangelical, fundamental, and conservative theological positions. We do recognize, however, that we serve and minister with others whose traditions may differ on these positions. The City Mission maintains that there is one baptism of the Holy Spirit that occurs at the time of salvation, placing the believer into the body of Christ. The City Mission also distinguishes between spiritual gifts distributed to believers to equip them for ministry and the “sign gifts” which are understood to have been manifestations of the Holy Spirit to authenticate the messenger and the gospel message during the foundational period of the church. Therefore, The City Mission holds that “sign gifts” are not normative for the church today, and The City Mission also does not endorse prosperity or deliverance teachings. While these positions are not and must not be a test of fellowship with those whose traditions differ, members of this community will not practice or propagate practices at variance with The City Mission’s positions while ministering to City Mission clients.
The Firm Foundation themes are what we teach our clients here at The City Mission. Although you do not need to initial these, we think it is important for you to know.
FIRM FOUNDATION THEMES:
- God is supreme and sovereign.
- God communicates with man.
- God is everywhere, all of the time. God knows everything.
- God is all-powerful.
- God is holy and righteous. He demands death as the payment for sin.
- God is loving, merciful and gracious.
- God is faithful and does not change.
- Man is a sinner under the death penalty. He needs God and is helpless to save himself.
- Man can come to God only according to God’s will and plan.
- Man must have faith in order to please God and be saved.
- Satan fights against God and His will. He is a liar and a deceiver. He hates man.
- Jesus Christ is God.
- Jesus Christ is man.
- Jesus Christ is holy and righteous.
- Jesus Christ is the only Savior.
SPIRITUAL JOURNEY FOR VOLUNTEERING (if applicable)
Thank you so much for your interest in serving the men, women, and children of The City Mission. In order to help us get to know you better, please take the time to fill out this brief questionnaire. This is the next step in the application process, so please complete this promptly and efficiently. Please e-mail this back to my attention upon completion.
- In your own words, summarize the message of the Gospel and what it means to be saved.
- Would you say you have personal faith in Jesus Christ? If so, please describe how and when you were saved.
- Why have you chosen to pursue ministry opportunities at The City Mission?
I have read, understand, affirm, and will concur with the above policies.
Every contribution makes an impact
Reaching Hearts | Changing LIVES
The City Mission is funded entirely by private donations from people like you.
Will you provide help and hope to people in crisis today?
85¢ OF EVERY DOLLAR DONATED IS USED DIRECTLY FOR CLIENT CARE.