The City Mission, a faith based, not for profit organization serving the homeless and “at risk” population in Northeastern Ohio, is seeking a Client & Safety Specialist.
The City Mission houses over 250 men, women and children each night at two separate locations. The Client and Safety Specialist (Specialist) position is an entry-level position, introducing the Specialist to The City Mission and the population we serve. This position is a front line position, interacting with every client who enters the facility, and will prepare a forward-looking Specialist for future positions at The City Mission.
Follows and enforces procedures and rules, while conducting him/herself in a courteous and professional manner at all times. Able to communicate meaningfully and discerningly with our client population. Ideally, has experience in de-escalation and crisis management.
The Client and Safety Specialist (Specialist) is responsible for ensuring the safety and security of the crisis center and general supervision of clients. The Specialist follows and enforces procedures and rules, while conducting him/herself in a courteous and professional manner at all times. S/he is able to communicate meaningfully and discerningly with our client population. Ideally, s/he would have experience in de-escalation and crisis management.
Additionally, the Specialist is responsible for the safety of the staff, clients, visitors and volunteers of The City Mission (TCM) as well as TCM’s physical property. The Specialist is a first responder to incidents involving clients, staff and volunteers. S/he is available to work any of the three shifts.
Essential Job Functions
- Communicating courteously and professionally with all callers, visitors and clients.
- Refer clients and callers to appropriate staff
- Monitor client activities throughout the building and perform routine room searches
- Respond to all incidents and emergency situations, de-escalating clients, calling for emergency aid or assistance from other staff
- Documents all shift activities, including incident reports and client behaviors
- Maintain the safety & security of Laura’s Home – all people and property – by following procedures, and enforcing rules and boundaries.
- Perform physical rounds of buildings and property, enforcing rules, accessing help, or communicating concerns to the appropriate party.
- Perform search of bags for inappropriate items, enforcing TCM policies with clients.
- Watch security cameras for irregularities, concerns, or problems, addressing them immediately.
- Answer telephones professionally and courteously, directing callers or taking messages as appropriate.
- Perform intake paperwork and rules with new clients.
- Maintains safe and clean reception area by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain continuity among work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and needs with staff and management.
- Degree in related field is preferred
- Experience working with individuals in crisis is preferred
- Excellent verbal communication skills and listening skills required
- Strong aptitude with technology and Microsoft Office products
- Must be teachable, able to follow leadership, and maintain appropriate boundaries. Must be self-motivated, and a problem-solver
- Able to communicate firmly yet lovingly with individuals in crisis who are dealing with serious issues such as addiction, mental illness, and homelessness
- Able to handle pressure with grace
- Ability and willingness to identify opportunities for learning and growth and pursue those opportunities both inside and outside TCM.
Essential Physical and Mental Functions
- Stand or walk constantly (for up to an entire shift) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet)
- Climb stairs occasionally during shift
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 40 pounds
- Constant use of both hands and arms in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering while using phone, notepad, writing reports, and other administrative tasks
- Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to normal level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination
- Read, understand and clearly speak English; constantly use speech and hearing (correctable to normal level required) in communicating with public/co-workers, giving and receiving instructions, using phones
- Work in various environments including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain or heat;
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments
- Must possess effective written and oral communication and interpersonal skills with ability to deal with all levels of personnel and the general public in a professional and effective manner; must be able to use initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines
- Must be able to frequently prepare written reports and logs in neat, legible handwriting;
- Must be able to communicate professionally via computer programs such as Microsoft Outlook
- Must be able to read and understand all operating procedures and instructions
- Must be able to handle pressure of constantly working with individuals in crisis
- Professes Jesus as Lord and Savior
- Believes the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, & ultimate authoritative Word of God (II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:21)
- Patterns life after the example of Jesus and the commands and principles found in the Bible
- Desires to serve the Lord
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.